"I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy." -Alma 29:9
Sister Adorable's Mission Blog

Friday, May 24, 2013

Advice to those Who are Preparing

Serving a mission takes lots of spiritual and physical preparation. Here are some things I did to prepare. 1. Read and STUDY The Book of Mormon: this along with your belief in your Savior Jesus Christ should be the foundation of your testimony. Reading it will invite the Spirit into your life and will bring solace when you are faced with temptation and trials. 2. Read Preach my Gospel. It not only has the lessons you will teach on your mission but also tells you how to be a good missionary. The lessons may seem overwhelming but if you memorize the key points for each lesson, it will become easier. 3. Go to the temple as often as you can. There is a special peace you receive in the temple and it helps you develop your relationship with the Lord. Also going to the temple can be an overwhelming experience if you allow it to be, so going back several times helps increase your understanding. 4.Go out with the missionaries. I think the unknown is one of the things that makes a mission scary. However, if you go out with the missionaries you can see what you will be doing and they can answer any questions you have. Going out with the missionaries was a big comfort for me because I saw that missionaries are imperfect people and the as long as they are trying their best, the Lord will help them. 5. Spend as much time as you can with your family. (Obviously!) Your family will probably be your biggest support. Cherish those relationships and allow them to flourish before you leave. 6. Start shopping for missionary clothes EARLY. Finding cute, affordable clothes that meet the standards in the missionary handbook can be difficult so it is wise to look early. This also gives you the opportunity to wear them before you leave. By wearing your mission clothes before you leave, it gives you time to find other options in case something isn't comfortable, needs to be altered, or fits strangely after it is washed. DI, Target, Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, J. Crew, Banana Republic, Wal Mart, Talbots and Forever 21 are just a few of the places where I found my mission clothes. You can find affordable and cute clothes. You just have to be patient and know where to go when they are having sales :) 7. Join the Facebook page "Many are Called but Few are Sisters" or something similar. It was really helpful to hear questions and answers from other preparing missionaries. It was also comforting to see other people who were called to my mission. I talked to some and went to lunch with others. Knowing a few people you'll see throughout your mission before leaving can alleviate some of your fear. I highly recommend it :) To those of you who asked, I hope this was helpful. We are so lucky to get to serve during such a great time. Do your best to strengthen and prepare YOURSELF BEFORE you leave so you can focus completely on strengthening and uplifting OTHERS DURING your mission. The Church is true. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment